Buy an electric vehicle
If you are in need of a personal vehicle, there are a number of benefits to buying an electric vehicle (EV) over a gas powered car:
1) Cheaper to run: The electricity to charge an EV works out to about a third as much per kilometre as buying gas for the same vehicle. There are a number of online calculators you can use to see the savings.
2) Cheaper to maintain: An EV has a lot less moving parts than a conventional car. There is relatively little servicing and no costly exhaust systems, starter motors, fuel injection systems, radiators and many other parts that just aren’t needed in an EV. With just one moving part – the rotor – EVs are pretty simple. Just maintain the brakes, tires, and suspension and that’s about it. Batteries do wear out over time so replacement batteries will eventually be needed. Most car manufacturers warranty EV batteries for around 8 years.
3) Less pollution: By choosing to drive an EV you are helping to reduce air pollution from exhaust emissions. An EV has zero exhaust emissions.
4) Using renewable energy: If you use renewable energy to recharge your EV, you can reduce your greenhouse gas emissions even further. You can recharge your EV from a solar system during the day instead of from your local electricity grid. Another idea is to purchase GreenPower from your electricity retailer (if this option is offered where you are). Then, even if you recharge your EV from the traditional grid, your greenhouse gas emissions are reduced.
5) Eco-friendly materials: There is also a trend towards more eco-friendly production and materials for EVs. The Ford Focus Electric, for example, is made up of recycled materials and the padding is made out of bio based materials. The Nissan Leaf’s interior and bodywork are partially made out of eco friendly materials, such as recycled water bottles, plastic bags, old car parts, and even second hand home appliances.
6) Community Health benefits: Reduced exhaust emissions is good news for your community’s health. Better air quality will lead to less health problems and health costs caused by air pollution. EVs are also quieter than gas vehicles, which means less noise pollution for your neighbours.