Learn how to support families affected by Autism
One of the ways you can support families with autism is by checking out this great resource that Sesame Street put together on Autism. It has videos for kids that explain autism, videos for parents, resources, and all sorts of other things that can help you understand the world of families who have autistic kids or relatives.
One of the resources they provide is what to say to parents who has a child who has been diagnosed with Autism. It was written by parents who have children with autism and others from the autistic community. Here is what they write:
* I have no idea what you’re going through, but I’m here to listen if ever you want to talk.
* Is there anything I can do to help you?
* Would you like some support at any doctor’s appointments you have? I’m happy to come if it might help you in some way.
* Whenever you need an extra set of hands, I’d like to help.
* If ever you would like a break or some time to yourself, I can babysit (if this is a reasonable option).
* Offer any compliment you would give to any typically-developing child.